Saturday 6 February 2016

5th Wave: Hunger Games and HSM rolled into one film with Lolita Influences on a low budget

So on Wednesday I went to the cinema with some friends to see the new Sci-Fi Thriller film 5th Wave. I was expecting it to be epic judging by the promotional trailer and poster.


Ever seen a film where the trailer is better than the actual film? Well 5th Wave is one of these.


The film starts off with middle-class schoolgirl named Cassie from Ohio played by Chloe Montez. She explains how in High School you think is life is to tough when it comes to things like exams and boys when in reality there are things a lot worse - something I can relate to totally.


The world is then invaded by an alien race named "the others". In comparison to films like Avatar where the humanoids had an interesting name "the Na'avi" I thought "the others" was a naff unimaginative name.


The beginning of the film is okay and is slightly emotional when Cassie loses her father. But after she is separated from her brother things get rubbish. The fact that it was a teenage Sci-Fi movie reminded me so much of the Hunger Games but then there was the High School stereotypes that are everywhere in Disney's HSM. What about the Lolita references? I'll come to them just now.


Chloe is rescued by a man named Evan Walker after becoming injured. Evan is a man who appears 10-15 years older than 16-18 year old Chloe making him somewhere between 26-30 years old. He acted as though he was there to protect Chloe - making out that she couldn't defend herself because of the fact she is a woman. *sniffs* I smell controversy. I hate to see women being treated like this by guys - especially if the guy is a lot older. To me it was just another example of sexism on our screens.


In a way it reminded me of when 30 year old Sportacus on LazyTown paid far more attention to the feminine delicate 8 year old Stephanie than he did to any of the other children. When I watched that show all those years ago I realised something wasn't right there and when I was 8 I went all anti-damsel in distress and...guess what nothing has changed.


Anyway I left the cinema laughing at how rubbish this movie was. They could've made it really epic but the makers didn't.


Hope you enjoy the rest of you're weekend my lovely readers,


Poppy x

No comments:

Post a Comment