Sunday 29 March 2015

Film Review: Cinderella


WARNING: Contains spoilers. 

(I decided to write in blue as that is the colour of Cinderella's beautiful dress!)

Yesterday my mum and I went to go and watch Cinderella at our local cinema. It is a live action adaptation of the 1950 Walt Disney Animated movie of the same name, both films are made by Walt Disney Pictures.

I cried at many times in the film especially when Ella (who later becomes Cinderella) witnesses the death of her parents. Cinderella is played by Downtown Abbey's Lily James, Lady Tremaine (the film's main antagonist and Cinderella's step-mother) is played by Cate Blanchett while the very sexy Prince 'Kit' Charming is played by Richard Madden. 

My favourite part in the film was where Prince Charming ever so gently pushed Ella on a swing within the palace grounds. It was love at first sight for them. 

Overall I give this film a 10/10 rating and 5 very gold (or glass would be more appropriate) stars. 

I loved how the film included ethnic diversity. I've noticed that traditionally fairytale adaptations and period dramas do not have much ethnic diversity when it comes to characters and extras. At Prince Charming's Ball there were princesses from around the world including a Spanish princess. She was dressed in a beautiful mid Victorian ballgown that had Iberian touches. 

The film appeared to be set in the mid-19th century. I put the year as somewhere between 1850-1870. Many people think the film was set in France but I'm pretty certain France didn't have a monarchy at that point in History (I know they had the big famous revolution in 1879, then Napoleon came but he was a bit like Oliver Cromwell. By that I mean he acted like a king but he wasn't one despite the fact he demanded to be called Emperor. But thats another story, this post isn't about the History of the French monarchy!). So I think it was probably set in Belgium or Luxembourg which are countries with monarchies that speak French. 


No comments:

Post a Comment