Sunday 31 May 2015

Considering Going Veggie

So last night I had pork, beef and lamb plus I had a little bit of chicken at lunchtime. By bedtime I was feeling really really sick. When I woke up this morning (which was quite late with it being the last weekend in half term) I felt that I couldn't eat breakfast. I asked my mum if I could have a vegetarian day after eating virtually a farm worth of animal flesh yesterday. Being the kind loving person she is, she said yes. So tonight I'm having a margarita pizza :)




Ever since I was little I have thought about going vegetarian but deep down I had a feeling I'd never manage. However recently I have been reading about ethical reasons as to why people go veggie, I've also being reading about Veganism. To be honest I can see more reasons to be veggie than not. I've heard anti-vegetarian statements such as "by not eating meat you are not doing anything to stop slaughter". But thats called boycotting. If everyone boycotted meat (which won't happen) then farmers wouldn't see the point in killing animals for their meat so the meat industry would collapse.

I don't know if I will be a lacto-ovo-vegertarian (eats eggs and dairy but not meat and seafood) or a pescitarian (eats seafood but not meat). This is not a permanent decision but I'm considering it. Some may say that I'll miss meat but guess what there are so many alternatives out there. Long gone are the days of when the only veggie option in a restaurant was plain salad.

Some argue that meat has helped humans survive for centuries...

Not exactly true. I remember in a History lesson we looked at Pre-Historic bodies from Orkney and archeologists have discovered that the people ate little meat. Some Ancient Civilisations in the Indian sub-continent were Vegetarian and some are still today. A lot of East Asian cuisine has ancient vegetarian dishes and delicies. If my Vegetarian experiment worked really well and I managed to be one with no problems then I MIGHT MIGHT consider going vegan.

Whether or not my vegetarian diet will become permanent only the future knows. It may turn out that I start eating meat tomorrow. I just don't know. All I'm gonna say is I'm considering going veggie and I have no idea whether I'll be one for the rest of my life, until I have children, a couple of years, a few months, several weeks or just a few days.

Tofu, something I have never tried. 



No comments:

Post a Comment